WELCOME TO ANDOVER BOWLING CLUB
Welcome to our website. We hope you can find everything you need to know about us by clicking on the Navigation Tabs above. However, if there is somthing more you'd like to know, please get in touch by clicking on the "Join Us" tab above.
Bowlswear Direct are coming to us on Tuesday 6th June, between 16.00 and 18,30 hrs.This is now becoming an annual event, put the date in your diary. It's an great opportunity to buy any kit or equipment you may need.
This year we have had two Open Days, one was part of Bowls England "Bowls Big Weekend" both days were very well attended. We had people of ages come to try the game, and with the help and encouragement of our coaches and members they all enjoyed the time they had with us. So much so that quite a few have already signed up to join us.
We are also delighted to report that one of our young bowlers, Heather Butler played for Hampshire v Oxfordshire in the Amy Rose Trophy and the young ladies won 43-32. They will be playing Kent in the next round. It's great to have a young Hampshire Player in our Club.
We hold a weekly Club Night, which is very popular with our members, have club competitions throughout the season and play in friendly games with other clubs, both home and away. Over the last couple of years we have been very fortunate and and have had a lot of new members and we've laid on extra learning/practice sessions with experienced bowlers especially for them.
We currently have 2 ladies', 4 men's and 5 mixed teams playing every week during the summer, in the Basingstoke, Salisbury and Whitchurch Leagues. These matches are usually in the evenings with the exception of two mixed league one on Thursday afternoons, the other on Saturday mornings, and some ladies games also in the afternoons.
Whether you are an experienced bowler, completely new to the sport, or if you'd prefer to play in more competitive or recreational matches, you will be welcome at Andover Bowling Club. We want you to get the most out of bowls and enjoy the game.
The following is what Bowls England says about playing bowls:-
We believe everybody should realize the joy and benefit of playing sport,
and there are so many reasons why bowls is ideally placed to unlock these
Here are our top 5 reasons to give bowls a try:
1. Playing bowls is very doable. Whatever your physique, bowls is a sport for everybody and it will help improve your fitness levels and mental wellbeing.
2. Bowls is not expensive. To get going you don’t need lots of new kit and clubs put on taster sessions for free. Even when you get the bug, a set of bowls and joining a club can cost as little as £90.
3. After football, bowls has the second highest number of clubs in the country. With so many places to play, it’ll take no time at all to get to a bowls club close to your home.
4. Compared to most sports, age and gender differences have less of an effect on a game of bowls, so it’s a perfect sport to spend time and enjoy a bit of friendly competition with your family.
5. Bowls clubs are sociable places full of people looking to have fun, so bowls is a great way to relax, make new friends and feel part of your local community.
BOWLS IN ANDOVER
Bowls is a very competitive game but is also a sociable sport and we welcome all new members, it's not important if you haven't played before. We encourage new bowlers and you can try it out to see if the game is for you before you join. We have an Open Day In April every year, and this is followed up with bowling and fun coaching sessions.
We know that Bowling is a very old sport in Andover, and that it was being played in 1660 because a lease to the Common Acre (part of what is now the Recreation Ground) stipulated the land could be used for the pasturing of sheep and lambs but they must be kept off the bowling green.
Our current club has been in existence for over 100 years, we celebrated our centenary in 2013, however the bowling hasn't moved far and we are still situated in the Vigo Road Recreation Ground in Andover.
We are very fortunate to have a small team of dedicated of members and our Green-keeper who all make a huge commitment of time and effort to make our green the envy of many who play on it from other clubs. Not only in the summer months when the green is appreciated by all who use it, but the work continues through the winter by this hard-working team and their helpers.